On April 28, Dubai’s Road and Transport Authority (RTA) introduced the service for applying for e-scooter permits online. The application is free of cost and is available to citizens, residents, and visitors above the age of 16.
Who needs an E-scooter permit?
You would need to apply for an e-scooter permit if …
- You are riding an e-scooter on designated streets (For other areas such as bicycle paths or on sidewalks, the permit is not mandatory, according to the RTA).
- You do not have a driving license.
- You are above the age of 16 and are a citizen, resident, or visitor to Dubai.
According to new regulations issued for the use of e-scooters in Dubai, to ride an e-scooter you must be at least 16 years old.
For UAE citizens and residents
- A valid Emirates ID number.
- Mobile number
- Mobile number that is active in the UAE.
- Passport details.
How to apply for the permit
Step 1: Fill out the application form
1. Visit this link to access the service
2. Click on the red tab labeled ‘Apply Now.
4. You will then be presented with two options:
- I have a valid Emirates ID
5. If you are a resident, type in your Emirates ID number and expiry date.
6. After filling in your Emirates ID details, type in your mobile number. You will then receive a one-time password (OTP) via SMS on your registered mobile number. Type in the OTP number within five minutes, after which it would become invalid.
7. After completing the registration for the permit, type in your email address and choose your preferred language: English or Arabic.
8. The application form is now complete and you will be redirected to the online theory lecture.
9. Now, all you need to do is complete the theory lectures online via the RTA website, pass the test, and get your electronic permit online.
*If you are a visitor, the steps for the application process remain the same, except you must choose ‘visitor’ and type in your passport details and mobile number active in the UAE.
Step 2: Complete the online theory course
Once you have completed the application, you will be directed to the online portal, where you would first need to complete the online theory lectures.
The online theory lectures contain 10 topics about technical specifications and standards of scooters and users’ obligations, in addition to the areas where you are allowed to use the scooter.
The course also educates users on traffic signs, especially signs specific to e-scooter users.
Once you have completed all 10 lectures, you can then move on to the next step.
Step 3: Take the test
The theory test can be done online after you have completed the 10 online lectures. It will take approximately 20 minutes to take the test, according to the RTA. You need to score at least 75 per cent to pass the test.
Step 4: Receive the e-scooter permit
According to the RTA call center – 800 9090 – after passing the online theory test, you will then receive an electronic permit for the e-scooter licence through the RTA website. After obtaining the permit, you must download it and save it on your phone.
I have a driver’s licence, do I still need to apply for the e-scooter permit?As per RTA, holders of a driving licence are exempt from obtaining an electric scooter driving permit, no matter which licensing authority issued the licence. However, they need to have their driving licence with them when driving the electric scooter and present it when required.
Where can I ride my e-scooter?You are allowed to ride e-scooters in 10 districts in Dubai, as well as most cycling and scooter lanes in the Emirate.